Are you curious to learn more about the ever-growing popularity of TikTok? Do you want to gain a deeper understanding of the reach and impact of TikTok around the world? If so, you’ve come to the right place! Last year we spoke on 47 important TikTok stats to be aware of here. We’ve trawled through the data to uncover some of the most interesting TikTok usage stats and TikTok statistics in 2023. The picture painted by the data gives us a glimpse into the future of TikTok and its powerful role in digital marketing. If you’re interested in understanding more about the platform, as well as how you can use it strategically to grow your business, then read on.
Below, we dive into 69 TikTok usage stats and TikTok Statistics in 2023 that demonstrate just how powerful the app is. From overall user numbers to insights into user demographics, these TikTok usage stats and statistics provide a comprehensive overview of the platform’s impact on today’s digital landscape. Let’s take a closer look!
TikTok Usage Stats – The Categories
TikTok Global Popularity Stats
There’s no doubt that TikTok is one of the most used social media platforms in the world. Its meteoric rise in popularity has put it well on the path to world domination. Maybe it’s the algorithm-optimized short videos and the simple, intuitive user experience that make it so popular. Or perhaps it’s the catchy songs. Whatever the case, here’s a quick overview of the TikTok usage stats that show just how popular the platform is:
- TikTok was the global #1 most downloaded app in 2022. This means it beat all the other social media apps including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube.
- In 2022 alone, it was downloaded 672 million times. This represents an increase of 16 million from the previous year when it was downloaded 656 million times.
- That means it’s been downloaded over 3.5 billion times in total, making it one of the most downloaded apps of all time.
- If you’re wondering what’s the country with the highest number of TikTok users, it’s the United States, with over 109 million users.
- Brazil comes in second place with over 76 million TikTok users.
- Colombia had the fastest-growing number of TikTok downloads on iOS in 2022, experiencing a 59.4% uptick compared to the previous year.
- TikTok users spend an average of 90 minutes using the app each day. This is more than YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit.
- This means that on average, TikTok users spend an incredible 2,700 minutes using the app
- TikTok’s global domination is impressive. 30.25% of everyone on the Internet uses TikTok!
- Mind-blowingly, there are over 1 billion videos watched every single day on TikTok.
- This means that in one single Internet minute, users watch 167 million TikTok videos.
- TikTok isn’t just popular with users – it’s rapidly growing in popularity amongst advertisers too. In 2022, over 40% of brands said they were planning on using TikTok as part of their marketing strategy.
TikTok User Demographic Stats
What does a TikTok user look like? We know that TikTok skews young, but it’s not just teens who are using the platform. Curious to learn more about the user demographics? Here’s a demographic breakdown of some 2023 TikTok usage stats:
- TikTok skews slightly female. Approximately 57% of TikTok’s global users are women.
- But this doesn’t mean that men don’t like TikTok. They still make up 43% of the total number of TikTok users globally.
- A staggering 50% of content creators on TikTok belong to the 18-25 age range, making them the largest demographic as of September 2022.
- 7% of TikTok users are under 13, but they must use a restricted version of the app designed for younger users.
- This means that 43% of TikTokers are over the age of 25. This includes Millennials, Gen X, and even your Baby Boomer grandparents.
- Nobody is too old for TikTok. One study examined over 1,382 videos made by creators aged over 60 and found they had been viewed a collective 3.5 billion times.
TikTok Creator Statistics
TikTok is home to a huge number of mega-creators who shape the trends, set the rules, and keep us all entertained. Ever wondered how much these massive creators make? Let’s explore some interesting facts and figures about TikTok’s most popular creators:
- Khaby Lame is TikTok’s no.1 influencer in 2023 with over 154.2 million followers.
- He’s also one of TikTok’s highest earners, with a net worth of $13 million. It’s estimated that he makes a tidy $4 million through TikTok each year, earning approximately $92,270 per sponsored post.
- Charli D’Amelio remains the no.2 TikTok creator as of 2023 with over 149.6M followers. Her net worth is approximately $20 million and she makes an estimated $105,770 per sponsored post.
- TikTok creator earnings can vary wildly. One TikTok creator named Jakey Boehm who live streams in his sleep earned $34,000 in just one month.
- It’s estimated that on average TikTokers can earn $50,000-$150,000 from a successful brand partnership.
TikTok Revenue and Spending Statistics
TikTok is an incredible money maker. The owners of the app, ByteDance, have seen a huge increase in revenue over the past couple of years. As one of the fastest-growing apps in the world (and the most downloaded app of all time), it’s not really surprising to learn that it has made a lot of money. Here’s an overview of TikTok’s profit and spending stats:
- TikTok is dominating when it comes to profits. In terms of revenue, TikTok is the highest-grossing non-game app on the planet.
- During just the opening quarter of 2022, an impressive $821 million was spent by consumers on TikTok.
- During the Q2 of 2022, TikTok brought in a whopping $41 million revenue solely through its Google Play app. This incredible figure represented 34% of all TikTok’s global revenues from the Play Store!
- Germany held a strong second place with roughly $17.4 million in Google Play Store proceeds.
- France ranked third in terms of revenue earned on TikTok, generating a total of $6.81 million through the Google Play Store.
TikTok User Behaviour and Attitudes Stats
TikTok users have their own unique behaviours and attitudes that differentiate them from other platform users. The things they care about, the content they engage with, and the way they interact online can be quite different. The key take-home point is that TikTok users care about social justice, but they also want to be entertained. Let’s break it down a little more:
- TikTok users are curious users. 56% of them say that they go to TikTok because they want to discover something new or interesting.
- It’s no secret that TikTik users care strongly about social justice. This reflects in what they want to see on social media. 65% of TikTok users state that they want to see brands stand up for the things they believe in on TikTok.
- When TikTok users were asked how they wanted to see marginalised groups supported by brands on the platform, they gave three top answers:
– Support diverse creators
– Educate their audience
– Promote community/allyship
TikTok users generally view the app as a source of entertainment. In fact, it’s 1.2x more likely to be seen as entertaining compared to other social media platforms.
- TikTokers use hashtags to tag their videos and encourage views. So far, the most popular hashtag of all time on TikTok is #fyp which means “For You Page”. However, in the past 120 days the top three most popular hashtags have been #Christmas, #music, and #worldcup.
- Entertainment is the most popular category of video on TikTok, with entertainment-related hashtags dominating all others with over 535 billion searches. Close contenders to the top spot, in order of popularity, include dance, prank, and fitness/sports.
- On average, TikTok boasts a 6.73% engagement rate and this figure continued to rise in 2022. This means TikTok users are still more engaged than any other social platforms users.
- TikTok creators are famously high output. On average, they post around 20 videos per month.
TikTok Ads Statistics
If you’re an advertiser and you want to know more about how to create a successful marketing strategy for TikTok, then we’ve got everything you need to know right here. TikTok themselves have taken the time to collect some key advertising and marketing insights that could help you make more informed decisions about your TikTok ad campaigns. Here are the highlights:
- After being exposed to a Dynamic Showcase Ad on TikTok, an overwhelming majority (74%!) of global Gen Z users who visit the platform weekly would investigate further into the advertised product.
- TikTok is often said to be the home of creativity, and this shines through in its ads as well. Compared to other social and video platforms, an impressive two out of five global Gen Z weekly TikTok users say that Lead Generation Ads are more innovative.
- TikTok has conducted countless experiments to determine the most effective type of ad creative, and one thing found was that having a talent’s face take up less than 20% of frame space on Tik Tok can result in an impressive 31% consideration increase.
- Sometimes, you see an ad and it’s instantly forgettable. TikTok ads however are different. Three weeks post-exposure to an ad on TikTok, a resounding 72% of users agree that the brand left a lasting impression in their minds.
- Adding a logo to TikTok ads can dramatically increase brand recall by 28%. This makes it an essential component of your advertising strategy.
- It can be an uphill battle trying to gain credibility in the online advertising space, but TikTok makes it easier. Three weeks after being exposed to a branded ad on TikTok, an astonishing 76% of users perceive the brand as credible.
- Struggling to get people to even watch your tech company’s ads? TikTok might be the best place to take your marketing campaigns. On average, users viewed 54% of TikTok tech ads before either scrolling down or skipping to a different video.
- If you want viewers to like what they see, then show them your product in use. Research shows that using a product in your TikTok ad can increase ad likeability by 23%, brand recall by 25%, and brand affinity by an impressive 65%.
- Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool, but how do you encourage people to talk about your product? Well, you might want to start by placing an ad on TikTok. In one survey, 55% of TikTokers said that when they find a product they like, they’ll go tell everyone they know about it.
- By crafting a captivating story in your TikTok ad, you can boost the time viewers spend watching it by up to 16%. The buildup of suspense and anticipation is key when it comes to grabbing the attention of potential customers.
- Don’t forget your captions. It’s common for TikTok videos to include captions, and sticking to the native format can have a big payoff. With captions on your TikTok ads, you can increase brand likeability by 31% and brand recall by 58%.
- Your use (and choice) of a CTA can have a strong impact on the effectiveness of your TikTok ads. Research shows that creator ads, which include a “strongly written” CTA can increase purchase intent by 205%.
- CTA buttons are also a powerful tool. Even if users don’t click on them straight away, you can enjoy a 69% uplift in brand recall by including them in your ad.
- When making a creator ad, you should include the product when possible. If you do so, you can increase purchase intent by 47% and experience an 89% increase in brand recall.
- Your logo is important too. Including a logo in your creator ads can also help you uplift purchase intent by 71%.
- TikTok is an excellent place to forge connections and build relationships with your audience. One of the best ways to do this is through creators. An overwhelming majority of users (55%) find that TikTok creators make them feel more connected with brands.
TikTok Vs Other Platforms
How does TikTok stack up to other social media platforms when it comes to user behaviour, attitudes, advertising, and engagement? We’ve collected a few interesting facts and stats that highlight how TikTok stands out from other platforms below.
- TikTokers love to talk. Whether it’s about the newest trend or a brand they love, TikTok users are 1.2 times more likely to share new information and discuss it with their outer circle compared to users of other platforms.
- TikTok is often described as creative, interactive, and highly engaging, but above all, it’s viewed as entertaining. One survey featuring British respondents, showed that TikTok is 1.4x more likely to be viewed as a source of entertainment compared to other social media apps and platforms.
- Many social media apps have become essential tools for online shoppers, but TikTok stands out from the crowd. When Gen Z users were surveyed on their online shopping habits, results showed that they were 1.2x more likely to engage with brands on TikTok than they would on other social platforms.
- TikTok users are often said to be more receptive to advertising than other platform users. The statistics back this up. One study showed that TikTokers spend 25% more time viewing ads before scrolling past, compared to any other platform.
- You want people to remember you, and advertising on TikTok is a great way to ensure that happens. When comparing ad recall across different social platforms, researchers learned that ads on TikTok enjoyed a 40%+ increase in brand recall compared to ads on other platforms.
Shopping on TikTok Statistics
TikTok is becoming an increasingly popular platform for eCommerce businesses to advertise and promote their products. With new integrated tools like the TikTok Shop, it’s easier than ever for businesses to drive sales directly from their TikTok ads. Here are a few statistics to give you an idea of TikTok’s potential for eCommerce.
- TikTok is not just a social app, it’s quickly becoming the go-to place to purchase goods and services. According to recent data, 52% of weekly TikTok users in the UK are interested in shopping on or from TikTok in the next 3 months.
- TikTok now allows users to purchase directly from the app. People are receptive to this with one in two users saying they’re open to purchasing directly from TikTok.
- In fact, a large number of TikTokers are already using the app to shop online. A staggering 59% of TikTok’s weekly user base says they’ve already shopped on the platform.
- What makes shopping on TikTok so much better? It’s fun! 37% of users who make purchases from the platform do so because they simply find it entertaining.
- Gen Z users have particular habits and motivations when it comes to shopping on TikTok. Research shows when they use TikTok shopping, they are 1.8x more likely to be driven by the community (versus shopping directly on marketplaces).
- TikTok LIVE is growing in popularity as a way to promote or market products and services. One in three Gen Z users say the reason they like to buy from TikTok LIVE is that they get to see products in more detail.
- TikTok can improve the eCommerce journey as a whole. One study showed that eCommerce journeys that take place on TikTok are 1.2x more likely to exceed expectations compared to shopping experiences that happened directly on marketplaces
Seasonal Usage Statistics
With the holiday season just behind us, we can take a look at how TikTok performed as a platform over the holiday season. TikTokers were using the platform for everything from seasonal decor inspiration to gift shopping and discovering tips on how to up their holiday planning game. Here are a few interesting stats about the seasonal usage of TikTok to bring you up to speed:
- TikTok users are ahead of the game when it comes to their holiday shopping. An impressive 68% of TikTokers begin their holiday shopping at least a week in advance.
- TikTokers are an impulsive lot and it gets worse during the holidays! Apparently, they are 1.2x more likely to impulse shop during seasonal holidays compared to users of other platforms.
- TikTok users love to feel inspired and this is even more apparent during the holidays. 31% of TikTok users in the US say they use the platform for seasonal home decor inspo. This is 1.3x more than users of other platforms. They’re also 1.2x more likely to decorate in general if TikTok is involved.
- TikTok also helps users with their holiday planning. According to one survey, respondents reported that they complete 1.3x more seasonal planning activities when TikTok was part of the process.
- With more free time, TikTok use jumps during the holidays. In one survey, 89% TikTokers said that they would spend the same amount or more time on TikTok during Christmas 2022.
TikTok Continues to Be a Powerful Marketing Platform in 2023
It’s clear from these TikTok usage stats that the platform is not going to disappear anytime soon. It’s more than just a video-sharing app. It’s becoming a budding marketplace, a way for people to connect, a place for inspiration, and a powerful marketing tool. Brands can forge relationships with users, capture their attention, and create memorable experiences.
If you’re looking to increase brand awareness, acquire new customers or drive sales in 2023, TikTok is where you should be. With the right strategy, your business can leverage the power of this platform and enjoy long-lasting success. If you would like to learn more about using TikTok for marketing, reach out to us today. We’ll be happy to answer any questions and help you craft a strategy that gets your brand noticed.
House of Marketers (HOM) is a leading TikTok Marketing Agency. Our global agency was built by early TikTok Employees & TikTok Partners, which gives us the insider knowledge to help leading brands, like Redbull, Playtika, Badoo, and HelloFresh win on TikTok. Want us to convert more of Gen Z and Millennials with TikTok? Get in touch with our friendly team, here.