The days of home decor and interior design brands relying solely on traditional marketing are over. If your brand’s in this niche, get creative with your marketing strategy and hop on the TikTok train. It’s no secret that TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms today. To stay competitive in the world of home décor and interior design in 2023, you must join the party and tap into the TikTok décor space.
TikTok is the perfect marketing medium to get quirky and creative with your home décor campaigns. It’s more than just a one-way street. Users can interact with your content and join the conversation, humanizing your brand and building a loyal, engaged following. Best of all, TikTok’s Millennial user base is growing quickly. 24% of this age demographic is already following at least one brand on the platform. And as a primary platform for Gen Z, you’ll also be in an excellent position to reach this increasingly important demographic as they grow up and start buying. Read on to learn more about the interior design TikTok scene and how your brand can break into it.
“Nearly two-thirds of TikTok users describe themselves as “home and lifestyle enthusiasts”. You have a ready-to-go audience that’s just waiting for your content.”
Why Home Décor & Interior Design Brands Perform Well on TikTok
From fun DIY tutorials to upcycling projects, the interior design TikTok niche is flourishing. Some of the most popular TikTok décor and interior design hashtags include #interiordesign #design #interior #homedecor #architecture #home #decor. They have approximately 214 million overall views and just #hometok alone has a total of 797 million views. This proves just how beloved this content is. But why is interior design and TikTok a match made in marketing heaven? Let’s explore this below.
1. Tiktok is the perfect home for niche interests
TikTok’s algorithm is so accurate at predicting people’s interests that some have gone so far as accusing it of mind-reading. With near-creepy accuracy, the For You Page serves up content that taps straight into the unique interests of every user. As a result, the platform has grown to become a stratified landscape, where niche hobbies and personal interests are well-represented. Interior design is particularly well-represented on TikTok. This makes it a great platform for home décor brands to explore and engage with a highly receptive audience.
2. TikTok’s audience is all about “the aesthetic”
People on TikTok love visuals. Whether it’s the perfect selfie or that sleek bedroom transformation, the platform is all about aesthetics and displaying beauty in different ways. Naturally, the home décor & interior design space is naturally a great fit for this kind of visual-focused platform.
3. TikTok users love tutorials and how-to content
TikTok audiences lap up tutorials and how-to videos – and in the home décor & interior design space, this kind of content is an excellent way to promote your brand. You can show potential customers how they can use your products to transform their homes, helping them visualize the possibilities and inspiring their creativity.
4. Most Tiktokers are home and lifestyle enthusiasts
Nearly two-thirds of TikTok users describe themselves as “home and lifestyle enthusiasts”. You have a ready-to-go audience that’s just waiting for your content. Who could ask for a more welcoming environment than TikTok?
“Their flagship product, the human dog bed, has earned them an incredible 176.7K followers and 7.6M likes on their videos, after their ads went viral last year. #humandogbed now has over 254 million views. It has triggered a ton of user-generated content from creators who were inspired to purchase their unique product. Nothing sums up the phrase “TikTok made me buy it” better than this!”
Examples of Home Décor Brands on TikTok
Need any more persuading that home décor and interior design brands must be on TikTok? Take a look at some brands that have already successfully made it onto the platform below.
Ruggable is a TikTok marketing original, having been leveraging the platform since 2020. They specialise in washable rugs and have managed to create a strong presence in the interior design TikTok niche. Ruggable has an incredible 1.5 million total likes on their videos to date. They’ve dominated the RugTok corner of the platform (we told you there was a niche for everything). Their social media team isn’t afraid to jump on to the meme train when it comes to content. They create TikToks that range from the humorous to more practical how-to product guides.
@ruggable The lengths we’ll go for a tiktok. 😤#rugtok #rugtiktok #pedropascal #pedropascaltiktok #washablerug ♬ The sound of eating snacks crunchy ♪(1255100) – HiFiner
This single-product brand is an excellent example of TikTok’s ability to take a company from unknown to viral sensation. Their flagship product, the human dog bed, has earned them an incredible 176.7K followers and 7.6M likes on their videos, after their ads went viral last year. #humandogbed now has over 254 million views. It has triggered a ton of user-generated content from creators who were inspired to purchase their unique product. Nothing sums up the phrase “TikTok made me buy it” better than this!
@miloungeco The Secret Storage Hack 🤫 #fyppp #humandogbed #storagehacks #vacuumbag #satisfyingvideo #asmrvideo #bed #storagebag #miloungeco ♬ Remember – Acoustic / Sped Up (with David Guetta) – Becky Hill & Speed Radio & xxtristanxo
Simba Sleep (@simbasleep)
Simba Sleep markets itself as the world’s most five-star rated mattress brand. But with their higher pricing, they weren’t sure if their product would be well received by a younger TikTok demographic. In line with their typically longer buying journeys, they created a multi-touchpoint TikTok ad campaign. The goal was to establish buyer intent amongst UK-based Gen Z and Millennial audiences. Their strategy was a success! The brand saw a 28% lower cost-per-mile for their TikTok campaign compared to the rest of their marketing channels.
@simbasleep Discover the Simba Sleep collection, designed for both big and little sleepers to enjoy better sleep. #simba #sleep #mattressinabox #comfort ♬ original sound – Simba Sleep
12 Content Ideas for Home Décor Brands
Ready to get started but need a little inspo? Here are some ideas for home décor and interior design brands to try on TikTok in 2023:
- Partner with popular influencers in the TikTok décor space and have them creatively showcase your products. Influencers can also host challenges to highlight particular products and encourage user-generated content.
- Launch a hashtag challenge that encourages users to showcase their home décor skills using your brand’s products. One of the best things about marketing on TikTok is that it’s a way to open up a two-way conversation. The platform even allows your audience to contribute directly to the success of your marketing campaigns.
- Create short how-to videos that show users how to decorate their homes using your products. How-to videos are a popular type of content on TikTok and they also happen to fit perfectly with the interior design and home décor niche.
- Host a virtual home tour using TikTok’s live feature and showcase your products throughout the tour. This can be a great way to get your audience excited about the possibilities of decorating their own homes.
- Run a giveaway campaign encouraging users to follow your brand and share your content to win home décor prizes. Sometimes a little incentive goes a long way.
- Lead a “before and after” challenge showing users how to transform their spaces using your products. This style of challenge is especially popular on TikTok and you could even partner with influencers and designers to boost visibility.
- Create a series of videos that showcase the inspiration behind your brand’s product designs. The TikTok décor niche loves to dive deeper into the stories behind the products they love and learn more about the design process.
- Launch a dance challenge that incorporates your brand’s products in the choreography. TikTok’s roots will always be in music and dance, and dance challenges haven’t gone away yet!
- Create a behind-the-scenes video series that showcases the process of designing and creating your brand’s products. Audiences don’t often get to see the work that goes into designing and creating home decor products. As such, this is a great way to capture their attention.
- Collaborate with other home decor brands on TikTok to create joint campaigns that showcase complementary products. If they’re a more widely known brand, this can help to signal boost your visibility and give you access to an even larger audience.
- Host a virtual Q&A session with your brand’s designers or product experts to give users a deeper understanding of your brand’s values and products. The TikTok Q&A feature allows users to ask questions directly. It’s a great way to gain a deeper insight into the minds of your buyers.
- Create a video series that showcases the various ways your products can be used, for example repurposing or styling tips. TikTok users love to be inspired. If you’re in the interior design business then TikTok is an excellent opportunity to spark some creativity. You can show users how they can transform their homes into beautiful spaces with your products.
Jump on TikTok to Get Your Home Décor Brand Trending
With its emphasis on creativity, humour, and innovation, TikTok offers endless opportunities for home decor brands to engage with their audience in an exciting and unique way. Need help making the most of TikTok for your business? House of Marketers is ready to get you started! As a specialised TikTok marketing agency, it’s our mission to help brands reach, connect with, and grow their target audiences. We harness the incredible marketing potential of this game-changing platform to bring you closer to your goals. Get in touch to learn more about how we can help you create the perfect TikTok décor marketing strategy for your business.
House of Marketers (HOM) is a leading TikTok Marketing Agency. Our global agency was built by early TikTok Employees & TikTok Partners, which gives us the insider knowledge to help leading brands, like Redbull, Playtika, Badoo, and HelloFresh win on TikTok. Want us to convert more of Gen Z and Millennials with TikTok? Get in touch with our friendly team, here.