Want to know what’s driving today’s consumer? User-generated content!
Data shows that 93% of customers see user-generated content as a key factor in their buying choices. This translates to increased trust and stronger brand loyalty. Additionally, 79% of consumers say that UGC plays a major role in their purchase decisions.
Why Should Brands Embrace UGC On TikTok?
Brands looking to truly resonate with their audience and amplify their reach need to harness the raw, authentic power of UGC.
Here’s the deal: TikTok thrives on authenticity, and nothing speaks authenticity louder than content created by the very people you aim to engage.
Let’s dive into the key reasons that make UGC indispensable.
- Budget-Friendly Marketing – UGC is like a gift that keeps on giving. Why? Because it’s practically free! Brands can leverage content created by their users, reducing the need for high-budget marketing campaigns. This organic content not only saves costs but also brings genuine, relatable stories to the table that potential customers trust and value.
- Helps with Brand Authority – When real users share their experiences, testimonials, or creative content related to a brand, it establishes credibility. This authenticity is hard to achieve with traditional advertising. UGC positions brands as trustworthy entities in their respective industries.
- SEO Benefits – Google and other search engines prioritize content that is original, relevant, and engaging. UGC ticks all these boxes. Brands that effectively showcase UGC on their websites or social media platforms can expect improved search engine rankings.
- Trust and Loyalty – User-generated content is perceived as more trustworthy than traditional advertising. When potential customers see real people endorsing or using a product, it instils confidence in the brand, leading to increased trust and loyalty.
Brands that are constantly tapping into this authentic user-driven narrative are not only gaining visibility but also building deeper connections with their audience.
The question then arises: How can brands maximise UGC on TikTok? For those committed to elevating their brand presence, here are seven value-packed tips on how to collect user-generated content.
7 Proven Strategies to Collect User-Generated Content on TikTok
Here are 7 proven strategies to seamlessly collect user-generated content and ways to implement them in your marketing strategy.
1. Launch Interactive Challenges
Consider the viral nature of the #IceBucketChallenge. It wasn’t just about pouring cold water; it was a movement that united people for a cause.
Similarly, when brands create challenges, they’re not just promoting a product; they’re fostering a community. The content generated from such challenges is raw, genuine, and immensely shareable.
Challenges offer a unique blend of creativity, fun, and brand engagement. When designing a challenge, it’s crucial to ensure it’s simple and aligns with your brand’s message. The right challenge can improve your brand’s visibility and engagement.
Branded challenges on TikTok have an average engagement rate of 17.5%, significantly higher than other social media platforms.
When crafting your challenge, integrate your product or service in an engaging activity and consider promoting it using influencers for initial traction. Monitoring engagement rates can also help refine future challenges.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Create or identify a challenge that aligns with your brand’s message.
- Integrate your product or service into the challenge.
- Promote the challenge using influencers to gain initial visibility.
- Monitor engagement rates to refine and improve future challenges.
2. Utilise Popular Sounds and Tracks
TikTok’s essence lies in its auditory experience. Music and sound bites play a pivotal role in capturing user attention and driving engagement. By aligning with trending sounds that resonate with your brand’s message, you can get UGC content that ensures higher engagement and participation.
Utilise the trending songs available on TikTok.
For brands venturing into TikTok, it’s essential to monitor trending sounds regularly. Consider how these sounds can be moulded to fit your brand’s narrative or even collaborate with artists to create brand-specific sounds.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Regularly monitor TikTok’s trending sounds and identify those that align with your brand.
- Create content that integrates these sounds with your product or message.
- Consider collaborating with artists or influencers to craft brand-specific music or sounds.
- Analyze user engagement to determine which sounds resonate most with your audience.
3. Educate and Engage with Interactive Tutorials
TikTok’s short-form video format is ideal for bite-sized learning. By offering interactive tutorials, brands can educate users while encouraging them to recreate and add their personal touch. This not only positions the brand as a knowledge leader but also drives user engagement through participatory content.
A cosmetic brand, for instance, can introduce a new eyeliner by demonstrating a unique look. This not only educates users about the product application but also prompts them to try it out and share their versions, amplifying the brand’s reach.
Brands should identify elements of their product or service that can be turned into tutorials. Encouraging users to share their takes and experiences can lead to a cascade of user-generated content, further boosting brand visibility.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Identify aspects of your product or service suitable for a short tutorial.
- Create engaging and easy-to-follow content that educates and encourages user participation.
- Promote the tutorial and encourage users to share their own versions or experiences.
- Monitor engagement and feedback to refine future tutorial content.
4. Host Dynamic Polls and Q&A Sessions
Talking to your audience is one of the best ways to engage them, create user-generated content (UGC), and build relationships. Polls, Q&As, and discussions are all great ways to do this. Polls can help you gauge your audience’s interest in different topics, Q&As can help you answer their questions, and discussions can help you get their feedback on your products and services.
By talking to your audience, you can learn more about what they want and need, which can help you create products that they will love and a community that will be loyal to you.
64% of consumers want brands to connect with them. When brands interact and value consumer input, it fosters loyalty and encourages content creation.
For instance, a fashion brand discussing summer trends in a Q&A session can lead to users showcasing their summer outfits, creating a ripple effect of content generation. Such sessions not only provide valuable feedback but also give users a sense of involvement with the brand.
📌 Here are some tips for talking to your audience:
- Be genuine and authentic. People can tell when you’re just trying to sell them something, so be yourself and let your personality shine through.
- Be responsive. Answer questions quickly and thoughtfully, and be open to feedback.
- Be consistent. Make sure you’re talking to your audience regularly, so they know they can always count on you to be there.
- Be creative. There are endless ways to talk to your audience, so get creative and find ways to connect with them that are unique and engaging.
Regularly hosting interactive sessions and acting on the feedback can position a brand as responsive and consumer-centric. This proactive engagement can inspire a plethora of user-generated content, further cementing brand loyalty.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Schedule regular polls or Q&A sessions on topics relevant to your brand and audience.
- Actively engage during these sessions, addressing user queries and feedback.
- Encourage users to share content related to the session’s topic.
- Analyze feedback and engagement to tailor future interactive sessions more effectively.
5. Partner with Influential TikTok Creators
Influencers have a huge impact on TikTok because they have a lot of loyal followers. If you collaborate with an influencer, their followers will see your content and you’ll get more exposure. Plus, the influencer’s followers might create their own content about your brand, which will help you reach even more people. This is a great way to build brand awareness and credibility.
89% of marketers say the return on investment from influencer marketing is comparable to or better than other marketing channels. This highlights the power influencers wield in driving brand engagement.
When considering influencer collaborations, it’s crucial to identify individuals whose values and audience align with your brand. A well-thought-out collaboration can lead to a surge in user-generated content, enhancing brand visibility and credibility.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Research and identify influencers whose audience and values resonate with your brand’s goals.
- Propose a collaboration that provides mutual benefits and aligns with current trends or challenges.
- Co-create content that encourages user participation and content generation, fostering a sense of community around your brand.
6. Highlight Genuine Customer Stories and Testimonials
Sharing real customer experiences can be a powerful way to get other people to share their own stories. When brands showcase real stories and testimonials, it shows that they’re authentic and trustworthy. This can motivate a wider audience to engage with the brand and share their own experiences.
A Nielsen report indicates that 92% of consumers trust organic, user-generated content more than they trust traditional advertising. This trust can be harnessed by brands to foster deeper connections with their audience.
For example, a fitness brand that shares the story of a user’s transformation can inspire others to share their own fitness journeys, challenges, and successes using the brand’s products. These stories not only validate the product’s effectiveness but also create a community of people who share a common experience with the brand.
To maximise this strategy, brands should create platforms or specific hashtags where users can share their stories. Celebrating and amplifying these stories can inspire more users to participate, leading to a continuous stream of authentic user-generated content.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Curate and select genuine customer testimonials that resonate with your brand’s values.
- Share these stories on your platform, accompanied by relevant visuals or videos.
- Encourage users to share their experiences using specific hashtags or through dedicated platforms, creating a hub of authentic brand stories.
7. Increase Engagement with Creative Giveaways
Traditional giveaways have evolved on platforms like TikTok. By adding a unique twist that requires user participation and creativity, brands can ensure a surge in UGC, making the giveaway more than just a promotional tool.
Take, for example, a tech brand that hosts a giveaway where users are asked to showcase their oldest gadget and share a related story. This approach not only promotes the brand’s new gadget but also results in a plethora of nostalgic tech tales, indirectly boosting brand visibility and engagement.
For effective giveaways on TikTok, brands should think beyond the traditional ‘like, share, and tag’ format. By incorporating elements that require creative input from users, brands can foster genuine engagement and generate a wealth of user-created content.
📌 Here’s how you can do it.
- Design a giveaway that aligns with your brand but demands creativity from participants.
- Promote the giveaway, clearly communicating the unique twist or participation criteria.
- Encourage users to share their entries, stories, or creations, further amplifying the reach of the giveaway.
Ready to turn TikTok Trends into Brand Triumphs? Begin Your Journey Here.
Strategy In Action
Gymshark, a fitness apparel and accessories brand, is known for its creative marketing strategies. In 2020, they used TikTok and user-generated content to connect with their audience.
Here’s how they utilised the key 7 strategies to get more UGC content.
Gymshark’s Integration with Key Marketing Strategies
- Encourage Audience with Engaging Challenges: The #Gymshark66 challenge is a prime example. Users from all over the world shared their day-to-day fitness routines, from intense HIIT sessions to calming yoga stretches, creating a cascade of motivational content on TikTok.
- Leverage Trending Sounds and Music: Gymshark smartly utilized uplifting and motivating tracks like “Supernatural by Tribal Blood” during a workout montage, capitalising on the song’s popularity to make their content more relatable and catchy.
- Educate and Engage with Interactive Tutorials: Gymshark posted a series of workout routines under their Gymshark66 playlist where they demonstrated exercises targeting specific muscle groups, using their apparel to highlight ease of movement.
- Foster Connection with Interactive Polls and Q&A Sessions: In one instance, Gymshark hosted a “Leg Day vs. Cardio” poll, sparking lively debates and interactions in the comments. They also held Q&A sessions with fitness trainers, addressing common workout myths and offering expert advice.
- Boost Your Brand with Influencer Collaborations: Gymshark partnered with influencers like Nikkiblackketter and Lisafitt. These influencers, also known as Gymshark athletes, regularly share social media videos of their exercise regime, wearing and discussing apparel and equipment created by the brand bringing their vast follower base into the Gymshark fold.
- Showcase Authenticity with Customer Testimonials: Gymshark features users who committed to their #Gymshark66 challenge. These real-life testimonials serve as genuine endorsements of the brand’s impact and authenticity.
- Elevate Engagement with Creative Giveaways: To keep the #Gymshark66 challenge buzzing, Gymshark announced giveaways where participants stood a chance to win gift cards and other goodies which saw thousands of entries and immense user engagement.
Case Study: Gymshark’s TikTok UGC Campaign
Gymshark, a fitness apparel & accessories brand, is renowned for its innovative marketing strategies. They tapped into the power of TikTok and UGC to engage with their audience.
Gymshark wanted to boost its brand awareness among the Gen Z audience and showcase the versatility of its products.
Gymshark launched the #Gymshark66 challenge on TikTok. The challenge encouraged users to commit to a fitness goal and document their journey over 66 days – the supposed time it takes to form a habit. Participants were asked to post their progress using the hashtag, with the incentive of potential features on Gymshark’s official channels and prizes.
- The #Gymshark66 challenge garnered over 300 million views on TikTok.
- Gymshark’s TikTok account saw a significant surge in followers.
- The campaign led to a noticeable increase in website traffic and sales.
- The UGC provided Gymshark with a plethora of authentic content, showcasing real people achieving their fitness goals with Gymshark products.
Why it worked?
Gymshark’s campaign was rooted in authenticity. Instead of just showcasing their products, they tapped into a genuine journey of fitness and self-improvement. The challenge format encouraged consistent engagement over two months, ensuring sustained brand visibility.
Brands that can connect their products with real-life experiences and stories, especially on platforms like TikTok, can reap huge rewards in terms of engagement, loyalty, and sales. Gymshark’s success story is a prime example of the power of well-executed UGC campaigns.
Read the in-depth case study here.
Maximising UGC: Insights from House of Marketers
At House of Marketers, we understand the power of User-Generated Content (UGC) and its potential to elevate a brand’s presence. But collecting UGC is just one part of the equation. The real magic lies in how you utilize this content to promote your brand effectively.
Here’s how we at House of Marketers harness UGC for brand promotion:
- Content Curation: We sift through the vast amounts of UGC to identify content that truly resonates with a brand’s message and ethos. This ensures that only the most impactful content is showcased.
- Strategic Placement: Whether it’s on a brand’s website, social media platforms, or advertising campaigns, we strategically place UGC where it’s most likely to get attention and drive engagement.
- Engage & Amplify: We don’t just collect user-generated content; we engage with it. By interacting with users who create content and amplifying their stories, we foster a sense of community around the brand.
- Adapt & Evolve: The digital landscape is ever-changing. We continuously monitor trends and feedback to adapt our strategies, ensuring that we always get UGC content that’s fresh, relevant, and impactful.
By leveraging UGC in these ways, we help brands build trust, foster community, and drive engagement, ensuring that they remain at the forefront of their industry.
TikTok offers brands an unparalleled opportunity to engage with a vast audience. By employing strategies that inspire user-generated content, brands can enhance their visibility, foster deeper engagement, and build a loyal community.
Want more user-generated content? At House of Marketers, we help brands like yours tap into the power of your audience. Let’s collaborate and design a campaign that meets your goals. Ready to get started? Click Here for your campaign proposal!
House of Marketers specialises in influencer marketing and paid performance marketing. With a deep understanding of TikTok, Meta and Google Ads, we craft campaigns that resonate and engage on all parts of the user journey.
House of Marketers (HOM) is a leading TikTok Marketing Agency. Our global agency was built by early TikTok Employees & TikTok Partners, which gives us the insider knowledge to help leading brands, like Redbull, Playtika, Badoo, and HelloFresh win on TikTok. Want us to convert more of Gen Z and Millennials with TikTok? Get in touch with our friendly team, here.